- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in eggs, squash and oil; mix well. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bars test done. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, beat together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and butter. Add milk; stir until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forWinter Squash Squares
"My mom has been making these squash squares out of the hardback cookbook for about 20 years. Since I have been moved out, about 7 years I have been making them as well. It's an amazing traditional dessert in our houses!"
"I made this as a cake. Really good"
"These were out of this world! I used butternut squash. Wonderful flavor; very moist and not too sweet. I used only 3/4 cup of oil and I baked them in a 9x13 baking dish for about 45 minutes. I don't like cream cheese frosting so I made a cinnamon vanilla powdered sugar glaze and drizzled on top. My family loved it!! Can't wait to make it again!"
"These are so flavorful and moist.They are so good and moist. I've shared them with neighbors. People are surprised when I tell them what is in them. I use butternut squash to make them."