West African Shrimp
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Place garlic, ginger and oil in a large skillet. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato paste and salt; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice and, if desired, cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice): 373 calories, 26g fat (19g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 21, 2019
I loved it! The ginger gives a bit of a fresh flavor. This recipe is very easy to prepare, I finished in less than 30 minutes.
Apr 20, 2015
As I cooking, the dish was very bland. I could not even taste the ginger. I ended up adding about 1 1/2 teaspoon of curry and my family really enjoyed the dish.