West African Shrimp
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Place garlic, ginger and oil in a large skillet. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato paste and salt; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice and, if desired, cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice): 373 calories, 26g fat (19g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
I loved it! The ginger gives a bit of a fresh flavor. This recipe is very easy to prepare, I finished in less than 30 minutes.
Apr 20, 2015
As I cooking, the dish was very bland. I could not even taste the ginger. I ended up adding about 1 1/2 teaspoon of curry and my family really enjoyed the dish.