Vanilla Custard Cups
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, brown sugar, vanilla and salt if desired until blended. Pour into two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place cups in a 9-in. square baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 75 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 milk.
Oct 5, 2016
My daughter's been suffering from an oogy tummy for the past few days. She has been advised to avoid all spicy or acid food. We still have not gotten to the bottom of what her problem is, but I made this for her tonight (doubled it to make 4 ramekins) and she loved it. I used two extra-large local eggs, a mixture of 2% milk and half-and-half, Penzey's double-strength vanilla extract, and freshly grated nutmeg. It smelled delicious while it was baking.
Sep 5, 2015
Very creamy and delicious
Feb 9, 2013
I bought very old custard dishes at a secondhand store and searched on-line for a recipe. I always come back to TOH to find the best recipes. This was very easy and good. Thank you!
Mar 13, 2012
This was wonderful and very easy. Perfect for just my husband and me.
Apr 3, 2011
Fantastic recipe! The addition of the brown sugar gave it a taste that made it so much better than other custards I have made before. I will be adding this to my Easter menu.
May 17, 2010
Absolutely perfect!! This custard is so simple to prepare, and has a delicate, silken texture and a perfect balance of flavors. The addition of the brown sugar is so much better tasting than white sugar. I used a hand mixer to blend the ingredients---it takes no more than a minute to do this.Until I found this recipe, I had been using a packaged custard mix, which just doesn't compare to "the real deal". Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.