Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
We love using this simple vegan vanilla cupcake recipe as a base to layer on extra flavor. Stir in grated orange zest and chopped pecans, vegan chocolate chips and cinnamon, or your own favorite mix-ins. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk, sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Frost cupcakes.