I found this Italian-style chicken recipe in a magazine and tweaked it to my family's tastes. I have taken it to potlucks and served it at dinner parties and no one ever guesses that it's made in the slow cooker. I serve this chicken entree with crusty bread and spinach salad with lemon vinaigrette. —Mary Watkins, Little Elm, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 10 small red potatoes (about 1 pound), quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (5-3/4 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Place chicken on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Top with olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender. Discard rosemary sprigs before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 498 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 1797mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Tuscan Chicken with tomatoes and Olives in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013