Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole; cook until just wilted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1432mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 26, 2013
Quick and easy.
Mar 26, 2013
We have made this twice and absolutely love it! Its fast and very good.
Jul 16, 2012
Soup was very good with a delicate flavor. I made some changes, as follows: used 1 medium onion,chopped, 2 cups of diced carrots, 2 cups of celery,diced with some inner celery leaves,chopped, 4-14.5 oz. cans chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1-15oz. can great northern beans; 3/4 cups uncooked small sea shell pasta, 4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach (not quite a 6 oz. bag), 1 lb. fat free, skinless smoked sausage, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & cut again across. We all loved it & I have made it many times now, as above. Thanks for the recipe.
Jan 5, 2012
This soup was easy to put together and was a great starter to a New Year's Eve dinner!
Jan 2, 2012
I was amazed that this simple soup could be so delicious and yet so easy to prepare. Terrific!
Nov 15, 2010
I added some garlic powder to mine and 1/2 cup more water. This recipe turned out great and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick and simple week night dinner.
Oct 14, 2010
I added 2 Italian turkey sausage links, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp oregano. DELISH!! Family loved it...
Feb 11, 2010
Easy and yummy!
Nov 19, 2009
I made this recipe a couple of times in the last two weeks. It is delicious. I did add celery, more fat-free low sodium chicken broth, & about double the spiral pasta. My husband who would never eat spinach said he really liked it. It certainly will be in our favorite & healthy file.
Oct 23, 2009
Loved it, used northern beans...next time would add more broth..but was delicious..Husband loved it.