Healthy Tuscan Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute peppers and prosciutto until peppers are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, oregano and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 1 cup vegetable mixture: 304 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 20, 2016
Loved this. Admittedly we weren't going for healthy, so we used regular broth. Also, used garlic pepper on the chicken before browning, and used a can of diced tomatoes and chiles to pump up the flavor, rather than plain tomatoes. Served with a brown rice/quinoa blend (from an easy-make microwave pouch). Super easy meal that we can't wait to have again.
Jun 26, 2016
This was so tasty! We usually stick with beef and tomato flavors but the chicken was really great! I thought the spices were good. The only change I made was adding sliced onion to the peppers. Otherwise, spot on good!!!
May 23, 2016
The leftovers were as good as the first time around!
Apr 8, 2015
Nice change. Could have used a little more flavor though. I salted the chicken.
Feb 23, 2015
Quick and easy. Everyone loved it. Only used 1 pepper but it was still plenty (used more for garnish then side dish) and skipped the ham.
Nov 16, 2014
This was a great dish. Very easy to make with lots of flavor.
Sep 18, 2014
I added a hot pepper and still found this kind of bland. I also used fresh chopped tomatoes and so I had to add salt. Perhaps some olives would have been nice. I used fresh herbs which I added at the end to preserve their flavor.
Sep 1, 2014
My husband and I get bored very easily with the same foods and try not to have leftovers because we won't eat them. But this recipe is a repeat keeper. Absolutely delicious!
Aug 27, 2014
lives up to its name. tastes and feels very healthy. simple and rather refreshing. would like to try with the fresh herbs next time as i would imagine they would kick up the "healthy" taste.
May 27, 2014
This recipe is great. I've made it several times now. It is even better left over than the first night. The flavors are great the second time around. To reheat, I heat the chicken and sauce first and then add in the peppers when it is nearly ready. That keeps my peppers from becoming too soggy. I hate that. Also, I didn't have cans of chicken broth when I made this the first time, so I used one of the Knorr Concentrated Chicken Stock tubs and a little water. I think this intensified the chicken flavor. I also made this for a party not too long ago. I just cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and doubled the recipe. Everyone loved it.