- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; cook until bubbly. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forTurkey Wild Rice Soup
"Absolutely fabulous! I made this last night with the leftover turkey from this past Thanksgiving (boiled the carcass to get the broth and turkey). Online I found many great sounding recipes but opted to try this one and am so glad that I did! I added mushrooms (as many others have suggested and the added taste or flavor was a perfect addition to this already great soup). I also added one clove of minced garlic (sauteed with the onion, celery and carrots) and a few minutes later I then added the sliced mushrooms. I also used only 1 cup of the wild rice (cooked in the turkey broth to enhance the flavor) but then added 1 cup of white rice. And finally a little bit of thyme and rosemary! OMG! One of the best recipes I have ever tried! I definitely will be making this again whenever there is a leftover bird in my house!!!"
"What a great way to use Thanksgiving leftovers! I was looking for a new turkey soup recipe, as I make the same turkey noodle every year. This is a great base recipe. I followed the instructions exactly but found the soup to be a bit bland, so I kept adding various flavorings until it pleased my tastebuds. These modifications included a package of sliced baby bella mushrooms, 1 tsp. of rosemary, 1 tsp. of thyme, a generous dash of white wine and a few dashes of Tabasco. I found that it thickens up a lot in the refrigerator, so I recommend putting some turkey broth aside to thin it out when you're ready to reheat. Delicious!"
"Absolutely fantastic! Used chicken (what I had on hand), added mushrooms and a little less flour. Family loves this - thanks for sharing!"
"Made this tonight. It is delicious."
"This soup is so delicious. I always add mushrooms."
"This is very delicious-we love it!!"
"So good. So very, very good."