Turkey Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
I found this recipe in my mother's recipe box. Sometimes I serve it over vegetables such as corn or green beans, but it's equally delicious on a bun. —Julie Clemes, Adrian Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2-1/4 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 16 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, green peppers and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard, jalapeno and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 293 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
May 10, 2018
I made these many times. If you are looking for a last minute easy recipe for a crowd...these are a hit. Super simple, and delicious
May 11, 2013
Very good! It was a hit for my party!