Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or celery seed
- 2 teaspoons onion salt or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 249 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 20, 2008
With all of the good ratings, I was very surprised to find I did not care for these. With the tomatoes and spices, it had more of an Italian sauce feel than I prefer for my sloppy joes.