Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or celery seed
- 2 teaspoons onion salt or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 249 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 20, 2008
With all of the good ratings, I was very surprised to find I did not care for these. With the tomatoes and spices, it had more of an Italian sauce feel than I prefer for my sloppy joes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.