Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain if necessary. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sugar, flour and pepper until blended.
- Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; replace tops. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 297 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Apr 10, 2018
We all really enjoyed it. Not too sweet for us, but we do tend to like sweet things!
Dec 17, 2017
Pretty good...I put in some green pepper with the onion but you could add a little shredded zucchini and shredded carrot as well. I skipped the Worcestershire sauce as I do not care for the taste...didn't miss it.
Oct 18, 2015
Certainly a family favorite. The best part is they don't even know they are eating turkey!
Feb 3, 2015
This was a little sweet, so I may cut back the sugar next time. I will never buy the canned sloppy joe sauce again!
Nov 11, 2014
I made this tonight but also add a handful of shredded carrot to the onion as I sauteed it. I also put the entire recipe in the crock pot to keep warm until dinner time. It was fabulous! My toddler ate it too!
Jun 16, 2014
This is a favorite in my household - exactly as written. We especially enjoy them on onion rolls.
Sep 5, 2012
This was my first time making sloppy joes and I was impressed at how quick and easy it was to make with things I already had on hand.
Sep 5, 2012
This was my first time making sloppy joes and I was impressed at how quick and easy it was to make. However, it's not something I would make again.
Jun 13, 2012
This was bland w a vinegar taste.
Feb 12, 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.