Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, salt and pepper flakes; brush over cut sides of bread.
- In the bottom bread shell, layer with turkey, provolone cheese, red peppers, olives and tomato. Sprinkle with Romano cheese, oregano and pepper. Replace bread top.
- Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 517 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1861mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Dec 13, 2011
Lovely and filling.
Apr 19, 2010
My husband and I love this sandwich. I love all the combination of flavors. To cut down on cost, I make my own roasted red peppers. So yummy!
Mar 8, 2010
This is wonderful! Very filling!
Sep 13, 2009
What a great recipe this is. My family also LOVES it! I omitted the red pepper flakes and green olives but added sliced red onion and mild banana peppers and it was amazing. An absolute favorite!!
Aug 2, 2008
My family absolutely LOVES this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.