Tuna Steak on Fettuccine
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 8 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tuna, swordfish or halibut steak (about 10 ounces), cut in half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons wine, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, and half the salt and pepper; add tuna. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add tomatoes, brown sugar and remaining wine, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until bubbly and slightly thickened, 4-6 minutes. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- Drain tuna, discarding marinade. Place tuna over tomato mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, about 6 minutes. Remove tuna and keep warm. Drain fettuccine; add to tomato mixture and toss to coat. Divide between two plates; top with tuna.
Editor's NoteIf using the broth instead of wine, add 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or cider vinegar to the marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 505 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 42g protein.
Oct 12, 2014
I'm going to make this recipe again for my supper this evening. I have made this recipe a few times and found the results delicious, easy, quick and healthy (the fat grams look high, but they are good fats from olive oil and fish). I use Schwan's Mahi Mahi fillets for this recipe because they are individually frozen. I pull out however many I need and the other ingredients are easily multiplied or divided, as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.