A sweet, silky mixture using a trio of milks makes these little cakes three times as good. Because they soak overnight, they're a great make-ahead dessert for a potluck. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: Top 10 Cupcake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Dash salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Assorted fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 48 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Fill prepared cups halfway, allowing room in liners for milk mixture. Bake 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Transfer cupcakes to baking sheets. Poke holes in cupcakes with a skewer. In a small bowl, mix milks and salt; spoon about 1 tablespoon mixture over each cupcake. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over cupcakes; top with berries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Tres Leches Cupcakes in Ultimate Halloween 2012 2012, p48