My dear friend, Junie Obi's mom owned a food stand and served this traditional Japanese dish known as Tonkatsu. She shared the recipe for these breaded pork cutlets with me years ago. They continue to be a favorite. —Yuko Shibata, Monterey Park, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared hot mustard
- Flatten pork chops to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and garlic salt. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Place bread crumbs in a third bowl. Coat pork with flour mixture, then dip in eggs and coat in crumbs.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pork chops until crisp and juices run clear, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; serve with pork.