- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove mushrooms; set aside. In the same kettle, saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and half of the mushrooms. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes. Add parsley and remaining mushrooms; simmer 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Yield: about 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forTomato Mushroom Soup
"Great soup. I added some basil and thyme and left out the tomato sauce."
"This was my first foray into making my own soup and it was so delicious! so much better than canned!! The only think that I did differently was to use crimini mushrooms."