Swedish Raspberry Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread jam over crust. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut and 1/2 cup almonds. Spread over jam. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 26, 2017
These are pretty good - sweet, but not TOO sweet courtesy of the flavors sandwiching the jam. My wife has made it twice. The first time was with a jam that turned out to be more like a jelly. It was better the second time when she used a filling that was more runny, even though it had seeds.
Mar 26, 2016
These are outstanding! I have made them on several occasions and am always asked for the recipe.
Nov 20, 2015
I just made these for work and they were such a hit. nest time I will have to make enough to leave some for my family.
Jun 11, 2015
Made these for a church gathering, and was asked numerous times for the recipe! Delicious
Apr 15, 2013
Everyone loves this recipe. I make them for bake sales and they are the first to go. I did change one thing though, I do not melt the butter. I use a pasty blender or the food processor until the mixture is the size of a pea, like you do for most other bar cookies. These are great, you will not be disappointed.
Jan 16, 2012
This is a great, out-of-the ordinary recipe, and not too sweet. I used seeded raspberry jam because that's what I had and no one cared. Watch out, the crust is kind of addictive.
Aug 15, 2011
Good for a change from the many chocolate bar recipes I make -- but the chocaholic in me can't help wondering if a bit of chocolate drizzled over the top wouldn't put it 'over the top'???
Jan 16, 2011
Excellent, but almond extract (1/2 tsp.) to butter, flour, sugar mixture; also use 12 oz. seedless raspberry jam and 1 1/2 cups almonds - richer tasting and more luxurious looking.
Dec 27, 2010
I made these bars for Christmas time, and I thought they turned out pretty well. The meringue topping is unique, and they aren't too sweet. While I wouldn't rate it as a favorite, it was very good, and as others have mentioned, I would definitely consider making for a cookie exchange.
Dec 17, 2010
I made this easy recipe twice so far. The first time I only had seedless strawberry jam available so used that. The second time I used the raspberry jam. Both were delicious, but we preferred the raspberry. This is a simple recipe, but tastes like you worked all afternoon to create it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.