Swedish Raspberry Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread jam over crust. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut and 1/2 cup almonds. Spread over jam. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 26, 2017
These are pretty good - sweet, but not TOO sweet courtesy of the flavors sandwiching the jam. My wife has made it twice. The first time was with a jam that turned out to be more like a jelly. It was better the second time when she used a filling that was more runny, even though it had seeds.
Mar 26, 2016
These are outstanding! I have made them on several occasions and am always asked for the recipe.
Nov 20, 2015
I just made these for work and they were such a hit. nest time I will have to make enough to leave some for my family.
Jun 11, 2015
Made these for a church gathering, and was asked numerous times for the recipe! Delicious
Apr 15, 2013
Everyone loves this recipe. I make them for bake sales and they are the first to go. I did change one thing though, I do not melt the butter. I use a pasty blender or the food processor until the mixture is the size of a pea, like you do for most other bar cookies. These are great, you will not be disappointed.
Jan 16, 2012
This is a great, out-of-the ordinary recipe, and not too sweet. I used seeded raspberry jam because that's what I had and no one cared. Watch out, the crust is kind of addictive.
Aug 15, 2011
Good for a change from the many chocolate bar recipes I make -- but the chocaholic in me can't help wondering if a bit of chocolate drizzled over the top wouldn't put it 'over the top'???
Jan 16, 2011
Excellent, but almond extract (1/2 tsp.) to butter, flour, sugar mixture; also use 12 oz. seedless raspberry jam and 1 1/2 cups almonds - richer tasting and more luxurious looking.
Dec 27, 2010
I made these bars for Christmas time, and I thought they turned out pretty well. The meringue topping is unique, and they aren't too sweet. While I wouldn't rate it as a favorite, it was very good, and as others have mentioned, I would definitely consider making for a cookie exchange.
Dec 17, 2010
I made this easy recipe twice so far. The first time I only had seedless strawberry jam available so used that. The second time I used the raspberry jam. Both were delicious, but we preferred the raspberry. This is a simple recipe, but tastes like you worked all afternoon to create it.