Swedish Almond Rusks
Not too sweet, these nutty, crunchy cookies go well with a cup of hot coffee...and travel well in care packages, too!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extract. Sift together flour, cardamom and baking soda; add alternately with sour cream to creamed mixture. Fold in almonds. Divide dough into 6 parts; shape into logs (like refrigerated cookie dough). Place 3 each on 2 greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove logs to cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice logs diagonally 1/2 in. thick. Place cookies on sheets; return to oven and bake until light brown. Cool; store in tightly covered containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 92 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Swedish Almond Rusks in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.