Hungarian Strawberry Pastry Bars
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 jar (18 ounces) seedless strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sour cream, water and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into thirds. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Between two large sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1-1/4 cups walnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar. Roll out another portion of dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle; place over walnuts. Spread with jam; sprinkle with remaining walnuts and sugar.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cut into strips. Arrange in a crisscross pattern over filling. Trim and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 29, 2011
i loved this recipe! I've also made it with almond extract in place of vanilla, and substituted raspberry and almonds instead of strawberry and walnuts. DELISH! i made it with the Hungarian Paprikash, Spaetzle, and Lightly Dressed Cucumber Salad. They were all featured together in one issue, and it was fantastic! I love these!
Jun 13, 2010
These were absolutely delicious and my husband said I had a winner. However, as an experienced baker, I do think they take longer than 45 min. for the Prep but were worth every minute of preparation time.
May 25, 2010
I have been looking for this receipe for over 20 years. My mother used to make this every time we had a cookout with family.I have wanted to make this and could not find the receipe and their is no one left in the family that has the receipe. I will be making this for the up coming holiday.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.