- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine squash, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt; mix well. Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each third into a 18-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Braid ropes together; pinch ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forSquash Braid
"Used the dough to make rolls... everyone enjoyed them."
"I had yellow squash on hand so I made with that squash.The taste is great but for that squah i needed to add more flour ,I will make it ahanyellow squash"
"I made the dough in my bread machine and it came out so tender and delicious! Even people who don't like squash liked it."