Spicy Lamb Curry
I've tweaked this curry over the years using a blend of aromatic spices. Fenugreek seeds can be found in specialty spice stores and are common in Middle Eastern curries and chutneys, but you can leave them out of this recipe if you desire. —Janis Kracht, Windsor, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: cubed fresh pineapple, flaked coconut and toasted sliced almonds
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the lamb; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches; remove and keep warm. In the same pan, cook onions in drippings until tender. Add the water, paprika, tomato paste, salt, mustard and chili powder.
- Return lamb to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in yogurt. Serve with rice. Top with pineapple, coconut and almonds if desired.
Editor's Note: Fenugreek is available from Penzeys Spices. Call 800-741-7787 or visit penzeys.com.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup curry with 1/2 cup rice (calculated without optional toppings): 419 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Lamb Curry in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.