VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2-1/4 cups tomato juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Combine the salt, pepper, allspice and mace; rub over the roast. In a small bowl, combine the tomato juice, onion, 6 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from meat. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on both sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat; drain. Pour reserved marinade over roast; add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from pan juices. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Strain; serve with meat. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Beef Pot Roast in Country Extra November 2003, p49
Reviews forSpiced Beef Pot Roast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2014
"This was very hearty and filling. Great on a cold winter night."