- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2-1/4 cups tomato juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Combine the salt, pepper, allspice and mace; rub over the roast. In a small bowl, combine the tomato juice, onion, 6 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from meat. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on both sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat; drain. Pour reserved marinade over roast; add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from pan juices. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Strain; serve with meat. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSpiced Beef Pot Roast
"This was very hearty and filling. Great on a cold winter night."