Southwestern Beef and Rice Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Add rice, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 482 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2019
Excellent way to make a good stuffing for burritos. I copied off of other reviewers and added some corn to it. Rolled it up in tortillas and served them with sour cream. They were pretty good. It makes a lot, too!
Mar 8, 2019
This was very good! I added half a bag of frozen corn (thawed).
Jan 23, 2019
This was quick and extremely good and easy to experiment with. I added corn. Drained the grease from the meat then added water
Dec 31, 2018
This was very good, I also added a can of diced green chilies.