I turned leftover hamburgers into meatballs and dreamed up this cozy Southwestern soup. Now my Italian family asks for it over traditional wedding soup. —Teena Petrus, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1-1/2 cups acini di pepe pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and corn; cook until tender. Stir in stock. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs, taco seasoning, egg and chicken; mix lightly. With wet hands, shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Reduce heat to simmer; gently drop meatballs into stock. Cook, covered, until meatballs are no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Stir in pasta. Simmer, covered, until pasta is tender, 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and salt.
- Serve with avocado and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwest-Style Wedding Soup in Taste of Home September/October 2016, p82
Reviews forSouthwest-Style Wedding Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review