Traditional Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon raisins, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed rotisserie chicken
- 2/3 cup uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, cut into thin strips
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in small batches; drain. Add the broth and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken and pasta; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 253 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 1, 2018
My family loved this recipe. I would probably skip the raisins next time - too sticky and didn't add anything. We used mild sausage as that's what I had on hand. I did increase the amount of chicken stock since I was "making it"! And I made some extra meatballs as that's their favorite part. Very easy and good.
Jan 23, 2017
Interesting...I am Italian and I have never ever heard about this Traditional Italian Wedding Soup =)
Jun 22, 2015
Used ground chuck instead of beef (this tip given to me by my Italian friend). The meatballs turned out fabulous! The soup was very tasty! My family enjoyed this very much!
Nov 5, 2013
Good one,,,,easy to prepare