South Dakota Frito Treats
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing
- 2 packages (9-3/4 ounces each) corn chips, divided
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Spread 1 package of corn chips on the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter. Pour half of the peanut butter mixture over chip mixture. Top with remaining corn chips and chocolate chips; drizzle with remaining peanut butter mixture. Let stand until set. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 337 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2019
Doubled the sauce, and put everything into a huge bowl to mix together before pouring it into a 9x13 pan. DELICIOUS!!! Easy to cut because the fritos broke down a bit and the chocolate melted to look just like fudge. Peanut texture/taste without peanuts. Love it!!!
Nov 8, 2018
These are a cute idea and they are tasty (but VERY SWEET) but I found them a mess to make, a mess to try to cut and serve ,and a mess to eat, You can get the same great flavors and taste in something else and avoid the mess. The chocolate is always molten unless you put it in the fridge - and then it turns the whole thing into cement and you can't cut it OR CHEW IT.
Jul 15, 2018
Definitely double the sauce, or halve the Fritos.
Jun 14, 2018
YUM! I made these according to the recipe the first time around, and they are good. The second time I made them, I doubled the "sauce ingredients"
Jun 7, 2018
Very tasty and similar to a recipe I used to make with my grandmother. I had lots of dry chips in the bottom of the pan though so next time I'll add the peanut butter mixture to the corn chips in a big bowl, stir everything together and press into the pan.
Jun 5, 2018
This sounds awesome. I'm going to make them with chili cheese corn chips. And possibly chunky peanut butter.
Apr 12, 2018
So this is the strangest recipe I've ever tried. They are good as well as easy to make, but too sweet for me (hence the 3 stars). Other people seem to like them though. I did follow the reviewer's suggestion to crush the chips a bit first & I did that. This would go well at a potluck or a Superbowl party. The sweetness factor makes them a no for me, though.
Mar 18, 2018
I like dark chocolate so will try these bars that way. They look good.
Jan 24, 2018
These are sweet and salty. Loved them and friends loved them too. Only suggestion would be to gently crush the frito chips slightly. They will cut better and bite better! Yum! Easy - Easy and makes a lot.