Soft Taco Burgers
I love to grill these sandwiches for quick summer meals or impromptu get-togethers around the pool. They're a snap to prepare, and no one ever guesses that they're low fat. —Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, 2 tablespoons green chilies, onion and salt. Crumble the beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight 5-in. patties. Top each patty with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese; fold in half and press edges to seal, forming a half moon.
- On a lightly oiled grill rack, grill burgers, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomato, salsa and remaining chilies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 304 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Soft Taco Burgers in Light & Tasty August/September 2002
Feb 16, 2010
I liked this recipe. I would add cumin to the meat next time for flavor but you could really taste the beans and the bbq flavor in the meat. I did take out the onions and glad i did. It might have caused the meat to brake up to much