Snappy Ginger Muffins
Meet the Cook: To tell the truth, I cook out of necessity but enjoy myself when I bake! I make these for school lunches and my husband to take with him to work. They are nice to serve for breakfast besides. Our children are 9 and 5. While we don't farm, our home's out in the country and we do have a pony here. -Marlene Falsetti, Lowbanks, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 20 standard-size muffins
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl, beat the oil and sugars. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; stir into molasses mixture alternately with water.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Snappy Ginger Muffins in Country Woman May/June 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.