Sicilian Steamed Leeks
I love the challenge of developing recipes for my garden leeks, a delicious underused vegetable. This Italian flavored dish is a family favorite. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min
- 6 medium leeks (white portion only), halved lengthwise, cleaned
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced Greek olives
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese
- In a Dutch oven, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place leeks in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the next nine ingredients. Transfer leeks to a serving platter. Spoon tomato mixture over top; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 83 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sicilian Steamed Leeks in Modern Comfort Spring
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.