- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup crushed Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter or margarine, optional
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, shortening and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cereal mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forShredded Wheat Bread
"Wonderfully delicious, with a nice fine crumb. Made a double batch to get 4 loaves. Nice and light - not heavy like some breads. I used a locally milled whole white flour."
"Wonderfully tasty! I even cut back on the molasses a little and added a little wheat flour. I can hardly wait to make it again!"
"I doubled this recipe and added rasins, great big hit with family and friends. Made it Monday, and its Friday, putting my apron back on for another batch"