Savory Spiced Almonds
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups unsalted whole unblanched almonds
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, add butter. Bake in a 300° oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir in the soy sauce, salt, ginger and garlic powder. Add almonds; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove to paper towels to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 237 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 19, 2013
I registered for the sole purpose of warning people away from this recipe. I wasted 4 cups of almonds making this, and I am left with a bag of this stuff nobody wants.As a Chef I cannot tell you how many things are wrong about this recipe. First of all, the amount of spices used are so trivial they won't impart any real flavor into the almonds. Second, removal from a pan, and placement into an oven does not offer any benefit whatsoever, it only overcooks the almonds. The best method is to leave them in the pan to soak up more flavors.Finally, placing almonds on paper towels is a ridiculous idea as it soaks up all of the butter and flavors. I cannot fathom why that idea was implemented here as it only serves to worsen the end product.The best recipe so far (with modifications) is this one;http://www.drgreene.com/recipes/savory-smoked-paprika-almonds-recipe/Double the spices, and slightly increase olive oil and it's good. Otherwise once again, far far too little spices used to impart any special flavor. Do yourself a favor, ignore this recipe, and check my link for a good one.
Sep 5, 2012
Very good, and best of all, very easy to make!
Dec 25, 2011
Love these nuts! You are right, it is hard to stop eating these. Very easy to make, too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.