Homemade Smoked Almonds
Mom passed this recipe on to me— much to my husband's delight! We like to take the flavorful nuts to all sorts of gatherings, from fancy holiday affairs to casual luncheons.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 cups whole unblanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- In a bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Add garlic powder, celery salt, salt and liquid smoke; stir until blended. Add almonds and stir until well coated. Evenly spread almonds in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 300° for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts0.330 cup: 285 calories, 25g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Smoked Almonds in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Aug 24, 2011
It's really yummy. I think I would add a bit more salt next time.
May 10, 2010
I've been making these since I first found the recipe in a Betty Rosbottom cookbook. They're the only reason I keep a bottle of liquid smoke in the pantry!