I pick my walnuts from a local tree, clean them and crack them myself—this recipe is worthy of my hard-won walnuts! The rich, buttery taste will fool you, as there's not a drop of butter in them. Not overly sweet, the nuts get nice and crispy from the egg bath. They work well as an appetizer and are an always-welcome hostess gift. They also freeze well, so you can enjoy them any time of year. —Sherri Starkin, Lyle, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (16 ounces) walnut halves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Preheat oven to 275°. In a bowl, beat egg white and water until foamy. Add walnuts. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add nut mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake until toasted and crisp, 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 235 calories, 20g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spiced Walnuts in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019