Sugar ‘n’ Spice Nuts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups lightly salted mixed nuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place nuts in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg white and orange juice with a fork until foamy. Add the sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; mix well. Pour over nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until nuts are crisp and lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 250 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 16, 2017
Malone Family Favorite. I make it for them every Christmas.
Jan 4, 2013
I had to adapt this recipe to ingredients that I had on hand. I used Craisins, almonds, pecans & walnuts. Because the nuts were not salted, I added 1 tsp Kosher salt to the sugar mixture. One more thing I'd like to add is that the egg white should be whisked with 1 TBSP water and whisked till very thick before adding nuts & fruit.
Jan 4, 2013
This is definietly a 5 Star recipe. I've made this 4 or 5 times already. I would say its important that you whisk the egg white with 1 TBSP water till its thick before adding the nuts and fruit.I had to adapt the recipe to ingredients I had in the house. I used Craisins, almonds, pecans & walnuts....because none of the nuts were salted, I added 1 tsp kosher salt to the sugar and spice mix.
Dec 10, 2011
These are awesome. You might as well make a double batch the first time around. The first batch was gone so quick I had to make another one.
Dec 10, 2011
I needed these nuts for an appetizer and my family ate them all. I had to make another batch. Next time I'll just double it. They really are awesome.
Dec 24, 2009
This recipe is super easy. The nuts are crisp and the coating is not too chunky like some I've seen. It's a great addition to my holiday treats, but I'll not reserve them for holidays only. They're good anytime you want a crunchy snack. Also great for gift giving.--Cordie22
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.