- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes; drain. Add spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll and pat dough into a 15x11-in. rectangle. Cut into four rectangles. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on one half of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Stir ricotta cheese and pepper into sausage mixture; spread over mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet.
Bake until light golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled calzones in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, microwave calzone on high until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSausage & Spinach Calzones
"very tasty and easy"
"yes you can freeze just make sure thay arecooled, they are wonderfull for left overs.db"
"Very good!!! bake in a pan that has sides as it may leak juices."
"These are definitely a "keeper" according to hubby...I did heat up some marinara sauce to dip the bites into. They would have been a little dry without, but then I like sauces and dippers. They will be made again, and I'm known as only making things once...thanks for the recipe..."
"Very flavourful and a great way to get some dark greens into your kids diet!!"
"These were really good! And FYI you don't need to "stay gluten free" unless you have a disease that requires you to. It's not the same as low carb and some people are confused and misinformed about gluten!"
"I purchase Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough (or make my own), divide it into 4 pieces, and roll it into circles. On each circle, I put 1/4 of the filling on half of the circle to 1 inch of the edge, then bring the other half over to seal and bake. I also add onion, mushrooms, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to the filling before putting it on the dough. They are sooooo good."