- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; cool. Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and nutmeg; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add onion, parsley, bay leaf and cooled marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup marinade. Discard bay leaf. Place the beef and reserved marinade in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in raisins. Combine cornstarch and cream; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forSauerbraten Stew
"I love sauerbraten, so when I came across this recipe I tried it and loved it! My husband even liked it (he's not keen on trying anything new). This is one of the very few recipes I make that I didn't have to change anything."