- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini pulp. Place pulp in a saucepan; add the sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Reviews forSaucy Stuffed Zucchini
"We thought this recipe was ok... maybe I should of used the hot italian sausage... it needed something.. we thought it was kind of bland."
"This is a great recipe! my family loved it!"
"Very good. I will make this again."
"I thought it was fantastic"
"I have a question..do you eat the skins? Thank you"
"Wow, really yummy! we will make again and again as our zuchinni comes in!"
"This was delicious. I used lean ground beef in place of sausage. I also will just boil the zucchini for only 1 1/2 minutes.To make sure they don't fall apart. Other than that it was great."
"My family loved this!!! I skipped the cooking of the shells first though. We like are vegees firm."