- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Drop whole zucchini into boiling water; boil for 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; cool. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Place pulp in a saucepan; add sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells. In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and salt. Stir until smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and the mustard; mix well. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Reviews forSaucy Stuffed Zucchini
"This is a great recipe! my family loved it!"
"Very good. I will make this again."
"I thought it was fantastic"
"I have a question..do you eat the skins? Thank you"
"Wow, really yummy! we will make again and again as our zuchinni comes in!"
"This was delicious. I used lean ground beef in place of sausage. I also will just boil the zucchini for only 1 1/2 minutes.To make sure they don't fall apart. Other than that it was great."
"My family loved this!!! I skipped the cooking of the shells first though. We like are vegees firm."
"I cut this recipe in half. We made for dinner tonight. This is a perfect way to use up some of the excess zucchini we have in the garden!!! Be careful the zucchini holds the heat very well and you can easily burn your mouth. Very easy to make! I also added some homegrown fresh garlic which also added some great flavor."