- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Drop whole zucchini into boiling water; boil for 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; cool. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Place pulp in a saucepan; add sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells. In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and salt. Stir until smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and the mustard; mix well. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Reviews forSaucy Stuffed Zucchini
"We thought this recipe was ok... maybe I should of used the hot italian sausage... it needed something.. we thought it was kind of bland."
"This is a great recipe! my family loved it!"
"Very good. I will make this again."
"I thought it was fantastic"
"I have a question..do you eat the skins? Thank you"
"Wow, really yummy! we will make again and again as our zuchinni comes in!"
"This was delicious. I used lean ground beef in place of sausage. I also will just boil the zucchini for only 1 1/2 minutes.To make sure they don't fall apart. Other than that it was great."
"My family loved this!!! I skipped the cooking of the shells first though. We like are vegees firm."