- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, halved
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- If desired, partially cook asparagus; drain. Place the asparagus in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange chicken over asparagus.
- In a bowl, mix soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder; pour over chicken. Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender and juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSaucy Chicken and Asparagus
"Loved this! I used cream of mushroom soup because I had it on hand. Didn’t cook the asparagus first and was glad because it was still crunchy and not mushy at all. There was quite a bit of liquid in the dish from the asparagus, but it blended into the sauce well and was not too runny.Will definitely make this again. quick and easy, love that!"
"This was great! I partially cooked the asparagus and next time I won't. It got mushy. The flavor of this was good and it was easy to put together for a weeknight meal."
"I have made this every year on Valentine's Day after this recipe came out in 1994. It is wonderful and never gets old!"
"This was really good. Kids enjoyed the chicken part and sauce, husband and I enjoyed the whole meal, very delicious!!! Left the curry and lemon juice out because we are not big on those seasonings but added a little garlic, not much and there were no leftovers."
"This is so good. I love the combination of curry powder, lemon juice, and cheddar cheese. I have made other casseroles with this same base. EXCELLENT!"
"I have used this dish when I was feeling exceptionally tired from working all day or I had after-work commitments that narrowed my time window for cooking. If you like both chicken and asparagus, you're almost guaranteed to like this recipe! Folks who prefer uncomplicated, basic flavors will appreciate the dish as is. I have found that over time (this recipe was submitted over 10 years ago!), I have needed to make the seasonings more contemporary to maintain my interest; therefore, I add about 1 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder as well as 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning to the sauce mix. I also add the chicken drippings from the fry pan. If you don't happen to have the cheese, it's perfectly acceptable."
"I made this last night and I took one bite of it and threw it all away! my husband loves everything I cook but even he refused to eat it."
"My husband really liked it and always ask's me to make it which is nice because he is a great cook and always has a twist as to what he would have done different but not this one."