Chicken, Asparagus & Corn Chowder
Chicken and asparagus make a light, comforting soup that’s easy to do with common ingredients. If we have rotisserie chicken, it goes into this soup. —Jennifer Vo, Irvine, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add asparagus and onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper until blended; gradually stir in broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Add chicken and corn; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 215 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Light and Hearty Chicken, Asparagus and Corn Chowder in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.