Saucy Cherry Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 7 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a bowl, combine the milk, soy sauce, bread cubes, garlic salt and onion powder. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Stir in water chestnuts. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; place meatballs in pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened. Add meatballs; cook and stir until heated through.
Mar 19, 2014
Simply didn't care for it. A little too tangy and strong.
Nov 23, 2009
This is one of the best meatball recipes I have ever eaten. I like to make my meatballs not use the packaged, frozen tastless ones in the grocery stores. The cherry sauce is the winner here. I baked the balls on a rack instead of messy broiling. I am looking forward to making these for a Christmas Eve cocktail party. I clipped this recipe out of the April/May 2004 edition of Taste of Home and was happy to see it still listed for additional prints. Thanks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.