Saucy Cherry Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 7 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a bowl, combine the milk, soy sauce, bread cubes, garlic salt and onion powder. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Stir in water chestnuts. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; place meatballs in pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened. Add meatballs; cook and stir until heated through.
Mar 19, 2014
Simply didn't care for it. A little too tangy and strong.
Nov 23, 2009
This is one of the best meatball recipes I have ever eaten. I like to make my meatballs not use the packaged, frozen tastless ones in the grocery stores. The cherry sauce is the winner here. I baked the balls on a rack instead of messy broiling. I am looking forward to making these for a Christmas Eve cocktail party. I clipped this recipe out of the April/May 2004 edition of Taste of Home and was happy to see it still listed for additional prints. Thanks.