Rustic Nut Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup salted roasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend over sides by 1 in. Grease foil with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg until blended (mixture will be dry). Press firmly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine honey, brown sugar and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar. Boil 2 minutes without stirring. Stir in butter and cream; return to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute or until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with foil, remove from pan. Discard foil; cut into bars.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 199 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 4, 2019
I am on Keto, so I made w almond flour, and made w Sukrin honey replacement syrup, and Thrived switch sugar alt. I toasted raw nuts, and all I can say is THANK U!!!!! Sweet, a lol salty, and plain delicious!! I will be making this as my treat/fat bomb (from the nuts and coconut cream). It's the trail mix bars I've been missing!!! Next time, a drizzle of unsweetened dark chocolate on the top! I can adjust to nuts I have, flavors I want.....thank you. Only problem, wanna eat the whole [email protected]
Dec 15, 2018
I have made this recipe many times and have never been disappointed. I always get at least one person who wants the recipe. The only thing I changed was the cup of almonds I replaced with a cup of pecans. I did find that toasting the pecans prior to using them in the recipe resulted in over baked nuts. I have substituted for a gluten free crust and, although not quite as tasty, was still very good. You can use any combination of 4 cups of nuts which makes this recipe very Versatile. I never have a problem cutting the bars when I use a chefs knife. I do wonder what the cream is for in the recipe so please let me know if you have an idea.
Oct 11, 2015
I love these bars! I use a can of deluxe mixed nuts (no peanuts) and they turn out great. Everybody loves them.
Mar 31, 2015
Easy and quick to make. A little expensive but well worth it. I chopped the almonds and pistachios, as well as the hazelnuts but left the cashews whole. I think the chopped nuts made the bars easier to cut. This is a "keeper" recipe.
May 16, 2014
Exchanged the hazelnuts for pecans. These bars are fantastic! The sweet and salty combination is perfect. We couldn't stop eating them.
Feb 8, 2014
Very yummy! Would definitely make again!
Jan 25, 2014
I loved these bars! My base was a little dry but I don't think I cut the butter in small enough or mixed as well as I should have. I used a macadamia nut, almond, and cashew mix then added shelled pistachios. I didn't have the whipping cream on hand so used evaporated milk and it turned out fine. The sweet and salty combination was a winner and I will surely make these again!
Dec 13, 2013
So nummy! My husband said, "Those are addicting!" I use mixed nuts & pistachios.
Nov 30, 2013
This is a winner, winner, winner. Great flavors. Everyone went crazy over these !!!!!!
Nov 20, 2013
I made them with canned mixed deluxe nuts without peanuts. Found them to be very good. The group I took them to really enjoyed them. I directed them to the new TOH magazine. I know one of them has already sent in her subscription.