Root Vegetable Pave
This is a stunning side dish to serve company. The robust blend features earthy root vegetables in a lightly herbed cream sauce. It's a perfect make-ahead dish for special occasions. —Carla Mendres, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium turnips, peeled
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut the first five ingredients into very thin slices. Transfer to a large bowl; toss with flour. Stir in the cream, thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining vegetable mixture. Place pan on a baking sheet and cover with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake until vegetables are tender and easily pierced with a knife, 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Remove from oven and top foil with large canned goods as weights. Let stand 1 hour. Remove cans, foil and rim from pan before cutting. Top with remaining cheese. Add reserved fennel fronds and, as desired, additional fresh thyme and pepper. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Root Vegetable Pavé in Taste of Home November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.