- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery and red pepper in butter until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; do not drain.
- Place croutons in a large bowl; add sausage mixture. Stir in the parsley, tarragon, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds together. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken. Place with breast side up on shallow rack in a roasting pan. Pour 1/2 cup broth around chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRoasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing
"This was really good! I used Italian chicken sausage & removed the casing. I also made my own croutons & used about 6 cups. Very good with the gravy."
"I made this and then put it on my grill/smoker. The smoky flavor that the stuffing had was awesome. It will be my "dressing" from now on."