- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 ounce red paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon water
- Nonpareils or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, food coloring and, if desired, extract. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. In a small bowl, mix egg white and water; brush over cookies. Decorate as desired with nonpareils or sprinkles. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to press. Prepare and bake cookies as directed. Yield: about 8-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forRed Velvet Spritz Cookies
"This may be the best spritz cookie I've ever made. I substituted almond extract for the optional peppermint extract. The dough was a good consistency for use with a cookie press, unlike many of the recipes I've tried. However, I got nowhere near 8 dozen cookies. Maybe I have a larger press, but I only got about 4 dozen."