- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked shell-on shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and green pepper; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Saute 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings. Add shrimp and bread crumbs; saute 5 minutes longer, stirring well.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove skillet from oven; top with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forRagin' Cajun Eggplant and Shrimp Skillet
"I was a little hesitant to make this recipe but so glad I tried it. It was DELICIOUS. Definitely spicy!!! I used fresh eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes from my garden and fresh mozzarella. Next time I plan to double all ingredients so we have leftovers. It would taste great served over rice as well. My husband also thought to substitute red pepper flakes with hot sausage. Give it a try. You really enjoy this meal."