Pumpkin-Spiced Hot Chocolate
As soon as there is a hint of fall in the air, I think of pumpkins and my mother. She served pumpkin pie with real hot chocolate. This recipe brings those two amazing scents, and her, back to life for me. To turn your hot chocolate into creamy pumpkin mocha, stir 2 teaspoons of instant coffee into the hot chocolate before adding whipped cream. It's a great way to warm up after some chilly trick-or-treating! —J. Morand, Maitland, ON
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup each)
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, whisk milk, baking chips and cream over medium heat until smooth and creamy (do not boil). Remove from heat. Whisk in pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla and ginger.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Top servings with whipped cream; sprinkle with cinnamon.