My mom taught me about Italian prune plums and pie. I sprinkle the crust with ground hazelnuts for luscious flavor and to keep it from getting soggy. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Recommended: 22 Best Summer Pies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- Pastry for single-crust deep-dish pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups sliced fresh plums (about 8)
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Toss plums with liqueur if desired. Mix sugar, flour and salt; add to plums and toss to coat. Transfer to pastry shell.
- For topping, combine brown sugar, flour and hazelnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over plum mixture.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 45-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Plum & Hazelnut Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p68