Pistachio Mallow Salad
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + chilling
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 6 to 7 drops green food coloring, optional
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios or walnuts
- Additional whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, combine whipped topping, pudding mix and food coloring if desired. Fold in the marshmallows and pineapple. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, top with additional whipped topping if desired, sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 236 calories, 9g fat (7g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 29, 2019
This is a favorite in my family. My Nana used to tell us that it was called “Watergate Salad” because it was invented at the Watergate Hotel.
Jun 16, 2019
Any idea why it was called Watergate Salad? Haven't had this in years and looking forward to introducing my family to it.
May 19, 2019
I have made this for years. I do not add the food coloring nor the additional nuts. I also use a smaller can of pineapple. It is one of the side dishes I serve at all holiday meals.
May 19, 2019
The original name for this salad is WATERGATE SALAD.
May 12, 2019
Ah, good old Watergate salad. Been making this for decades. Old recipe but good.
Apr 19, 2019
Yes this is what was "Watergate salad", but it is very good. I make it with everything sugar-free for less calories. My family never was the wiser till they grew-up and used their own ingredients. Still make it today for any time of the year.
Mar 17, 2019
Ok Debby Downer
Dec 31, 2017
Excellent! Been making this for years with walnuts..
Dec 12, 2017
I was a teen when I first tasted this recipe and I fell in love with it. I made it for my family once a week for decades, adding pecans instead of the pistachio I recently ate it at a friends house, and it was partially frozen and the texture was amazing. Recipe is quick and never disappoints..
Nov 23, 2017
I love this easy recipe, my kids love it just as much! It's a Holiday favorite for sure!