Pistachio-Crusted Chicken Breasts
As a salesperson in the medical field, I'm often in hospitals during the lunch hour. One day, I was fortunate to sample this great dish. The chef wouldn't share the recipe, so I came up with my own tasty version.—Bibi Gromling, Flagler Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, combine pistachios and tarragon. Place flour and eggs in separate bowls. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in eggs and coat with pistachio mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter in batches over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the wine, cream, tarragon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1/3 cup sauce: 752 calories, 54g fat (24g saturated fat), 273mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 46g protein.
Originally published as Pistachio Crusted Chicken Breasts with Tarragon Cream in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.