Peppered Beef Tenderloin Steaks
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray; add onions. Cook and stir over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until tender and browned. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar and sugar. Remove and keep warm.
- Combine the pepper, thyme and remaining salt; rub over steaks. In the same skillet, cook steaks for 4-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Apr 16, 2012
I had ground thyme instead of dried leaves, and it turned out great. The thyme and pepper was a complement to the steaks, and we just loved the caramelized onions. I don't like balsamic-based salad dressings, but I loved it on these onions.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.